Job title: Program Lead – Geoengineering Technology
Work location: Brussels, Belgium
Contract: Permanent (with notice period)
Hours: Fulltime (38 hrs)
Closing date: October 1, 2023
The International Center for Future Generations, established in 2021, is a think tank dedicated to shaping a future where decision-makers anticipate and responsibly govern the societal impacts of rapid technological change, ensuring that emerging technologies are harnessed to serve the best interests of humanity. Join our dynamic and purpose-driven team, poised to grow fast and make an impact!
As the program lead for geoengineering technology at ICFG, your primary responsibility will be to co-create, manage, and drive the research and outreach efforts in the field of geoengineering technology, or the deliberate intervention in Earth’s climate systems to counteract or mitigate the effects of climate change. You will focus on developing and implementing scenario and foresight work in this area, and analyzing the implications that these technologies have for people and the planet, with the objective of translating findings into concrete governance ideas for decision makers to consider, such as policy options, international cooperation ideas, spending priorities, or the enforcement of existing regulatory frameworks. Your goal will be to improve the resilience and preparedness of EU policies and partnerships in the face of geoengineering technologies, in order to mitigate global risks and harness opportunities to the benefit of societies worldwide. First research priorities in this field are dedicated in particular to solar radiation management. We are looking for a candidate with a solid understanding of climate engineering and initial experience in the EU policy domain. The seniority level will be based on a consideration of the candidate’s relevant working experience. This full-time position (38 hours per week) will ideally be based in the Brussels (Belgium) area. ICFG has flexible working policies, which enable a hybrid home and office working arrangement. The position will require international travel.
How you will make an impact:
- Co-create, manage and oversee the Geoengineering Technology Program, ensuring its alignment with the organization’s mission and objectives.
- In collaboration with the foresight and governance teams, identify and map current cutting-edge, high-risk technology developments in the field of geoengineering, and analyze existing regulatory frameworks and governance gaps for these technologies.
- Engage in a policy dialogue with EU officials, including the drafting of policy briefs, the organization of workshops, and the active participation in consultation processes in order to ensure that ICFG’s voice is heard in relevant policy fora.
- Represent ICFG in relevant EU events and discussions to share insights and build relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Monitor EU legislative processes and developments to identify opportunities for ICFG to engage in shaping policy outcomes.
- Collaborate with other civil society organizations and academia to connect and drive conversations and relationships in EU and international policy arenas.
What you will need to succeed:
- Apply your background in geoengineering, climate or environmental policy, and international affairs to inform and guide your strategies and activities.
- Demonstrate strong research, analytical, and critical thinking skills to evaluate and synthesize information related to geoengineering.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including policymakers, civil society organizations and the media, to effectively communicate ICFG’s goals.
- Collaborate effectively with the research team and other team members to achieve shared objectives and contribute to the overall success of the organization.
- Co-design and implement effective communication strategies to engage target audiences, using a range of communication channels and tactics.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of advocacy efforts, refining strategies as needed based on feedback and evaluations.
- Stay informed about the EU policy landscape and legislative process to ensure relevance and applicability of advocacy efforts.
- Commit to your own professional growth and contribute to the success of the organization through collaborative efforts and ongoing learning.
- The ideal candidate will be working from our Brussels office, but can also be working remotely as long as he/she is willing to travel to the Brussels office for meetings and events occasionally.
What we offer:
- Salary: The salary for this position is competitive (with potential market supplements for Brussels candidates).
- Work location: We have workspaces in multiple countries and flexible working policies that will enable a hybrid home and office working arrangement.
- Vacation days: We offer a generous number of vacation days (statutory days, discretionary days, shut-it-down days, etc.) and parental leave and care leave days.
- Learning & Development: contribution toward personal education & development.
- Wellness & Wellbeing: contribution toward personal wellbeing.
- Inclusive workplace: We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace for all.
How to apply:
The attributes listed above represent our current thinking for the role. You can be a great candidate even if you don’t fit everything we’ve described above. You can also have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you – even if you’re on the fence – we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself!
To apply for this exceptional opportunity, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Queries can be directed to Annika Brack (email@example.com). The deadline for applications is October 1, 2023.
Protecting your personal data is of the utmost importance to ICFG and we take this responsibility very seriously. Any information obtained by our divisions is held and processed in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation. The data you provide us with is securely stored on our computerized database and transferred internally for the purposes of presenting you as a candidate and/or considering your suitability for a role you have registered interest in.
To view our Governance Plan, click here.